Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Advice about refunds

I've been waiting for a sketchbook refund what was originally purchased back in November 2014. It's 80 (or 160 since front and back would be used) pages of art and it wasn't until December 2015 when I sent an update note that I was told that the sketchbook was near completion when they spilled coffee and water onto it and thus ruined most of the pages. I sent them my email for a refund that we agreed upon and they would pay me back as soon as they could. Well I still haven't been refunded and I'm stumped at what to do next! I sent them a note 4 days ago about the refund but it was read but never responded to. The part that worries me the most is they're not emotionally or mentally stable so they often deactivate and I really have no other way to reach them aside from their account or email with PayPal.

Can I get advice on how to go about this? Will an AB be necessary? It has been a while.... and I spent $70 on it... ;;;;

Community Tags:

Artist's beware has moved!
Do NOT repost your old bewares. They are being archived.


( 16 comments — Leave a comment )
May. 24th, 2016 08:53 am (UTC)
i would err on the side of making a beware, because 1.) coming on two years is a pretty long time, 2.) the "I spilled on it and ruined it right as it was finished" excuse seems a little too convenient, especially seeing as they did not bring this up until you contacted them first, I assume, and 3.) an artist who deactivates their account while leaving customers that they owe work to hanging simply doesn't seem all that trustworthy in my book.

but hey, I could be jumping the gun, too. you may want to wait until the end of the week to see if they reply to that note from a few days ago before making any solid decisions. what has their behavior been like between 2014 and now? have they continued to take commissions and/or do they seem to be completing commissions for others?
May. 24th, 2016 05:14 pm (UTC)
I'll wait till the end of the week before posting an AB about them. And they have taken more commissions and completed them, I don't know if anybody else has had an issue with them before
May. 24th, 2016 05:41 pm (UTC)
if they haven't gotten back to you by the end of the week, it might be worthwhile to send them one last note telling them that you intend to make an AB post if you aren't refunded. it may prompt them to resolve it without you needing to make the beware public, although it would suck if that's what you'd have to resort to just to get your money back u _ u
May. 24th, 2016 06:22 pm (UTC)
that is very true. I don't want to have to resolve this issue with a beware, I don't like to provoke them with a threat of one. I don't know how they'll react because of their personality and they might even vague post about me to their watchers if it comes down to it
(Deleted comment)
May. 26th, 2016 06:13 am (UTC)
sorry for the late reply but towards me they haven't, but I haven't had an actual conversation with them that isn't about the sketchbook
May. 24th, 2016 08:19 pm (UTC)
well... the fact that you're worried about that in general is a bit of a red flag in and of itself! vague posting about customers is incredibly unprofessional, especially customers whom you still owe work to! geez.

honestly I would argue that refund or not they may have earned a beware based on that sort of behavior alone. just know that should you threaten to take action against them, and they respond with vaguing or trying to turn people against you, that it's entirely their fault and that you've done nothing wrong. there's plenty of people whom I'm sure would be very willing to back you up on this.
May. 26th, 2016 06:17 am (UTC)
thank you for the advice! I just don't want to feel like a monster if they have emotional downturn and whatnot from it. Hopefully things go well with it
(Deleted comment)
May. 29th, 2016 04:40 am (UTC)
I have. We have worked out an agreement nicely so I will refrain from posting an AB for now

EDIT: Though I will post one in the future

Edited at 2016-05-29 04:41 am (UTC)
May. 24th, 2016 09:09 am (UTC)
Seconding bearprince's suggestion to submit a beware. If they keep deactivating and are unreliable to contact, something needs to be done. You're owed art or the refund, and they should honor your arrangement and keep you up to date.

I also second maybe waiting a few days to see if they get back to you - and then submitting the beware if you get no response.
May. 24th, 2016 05:15 pm (UTC)
I will be waiting until the end of the week before posting a beware about them, just sad that I feel like I have to. I never enjoy posting them
(Deleted comment)
May. 24th, 2016 05:19 pm (UTC)
The refund was talked about December of 2015, a full year plus a bit after the sketchbook auction was won. The artist never noted me about the ruined sketchbook until after I noted them for the first time about an update in December 2015, which was when we discussed a refund for what I paid for.

I'll be posting a beware at the end of the week, to give them some time to maybe give me a reply
May. 24th, 2016 01:04 pm (UTC)
bearprince's comment is spot on. Maybe wait another day or two before writing an A_B, although you've been pretty patient to wait this long already.
May. 24th, 2016 05:19 pm (UTC)
I'll be sure to wait before posting my beware, I just wish I didn't have to ;;
( 16 comments — Leave a comment )


A_B icon
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community
Artists Beware

Community Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com