Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Refund Advice

So because this isn't directly artwork related I'm not sure if it'll be accepted but almost two months ago I listed up my marker collection for sale and someone offered to buy it. We settled on $350 for the set but because they didn't live in the USA shipping for all of the markers and accessories was going to near $80. I offered to refund excess shipping if there were to be any.

They paid me $300 out of the $430 and then communication dropped. I kept asking them for updates, when they could pay, and they apologized and said soon. I kept seeing them bid on things and buy things though. I was getting a bit frustrated and eventually they tiptoed around the idea of a refund. I offered to mail out, and include the shipping on the amount they already paid for but they tiptoed around that and went back for the refund idea. While it wasn't direct, I knew what they wanted. I kept seeing them buy things, buy adoptables, they were active but I felt primarily ignored.

It was decided to relist my markers for sale and refund them the $300 I make from it but a lot of people were suggesting I only do a partial refund. I also bought art from them in February and have yet to see it. I thought about refunding them the $300 minus shipping for the art because I am just so frustrated.

I'll admit, I'm really upset at this situation. This was someone I thought I could trust with a payment plan and sadly I have to somehow manage a way to refund them a lot of money. My markers aren't selling as quickly as I thought they would.

I am trying to remain professional with this person but honestly I am just really let down. Any advice on how to handle this situation? Am I being immature? Is a partial refund out of the question? How much WOULD I refund them for what I feel was a complete waste of my time?

Community Tags:

Artist's beware has moved!
Do NOT repost your old bewares. They are being archived.


( 8 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 1st, 2015 06:40 am (UTC)
As much as it sucks, I believe you need to refund them the entire amount. Unlike artwork, there is no money earned by time spent on labor here, since you're selling an object for a flat amount. Also, I would not mix the business of your markers with the business of your artwork owed from them, despite it being the same person. Get the marker situation dealt with first, then you can begin communications/negotiations about the owed art.

From your wording, it sounds like you've already spent the money they've paid. In all honesty, you should have held onto the money until the item was fully paid for and shipped out. I don't really think you're being immature, but I would take a step back and evaluate any decisions you make by asking yourself if said decision being fueled off your frustration with the person, and would you view the decision as professional if you were on the outside looking in, so to speak.
Jul. 1st, 2015 07:32 pm (UTC)
You're absolutely right. I did spend it because it was for my medical bills and the other sum for a convention.

I'll issue a full refund once I get that amount. Thank you for the advice.
Jul. 1st, 2015 06:31 pm (UTC)
You cannot keep a partial amount for 'aggravation', or based on a separate transaction. Separate contracts = separate resolution.
Jul. 1st, 2015 07:32 pm (UTC)
You're right, I just had a few give me advice and wondered if it was acceptable. My emotions aren't something I should act on and I want to remain professional, regardless of frustration.
Jul. 1st, 2015 07:59 pm (UTC)
It's a bummer how this turned out for you, and glad you decided to sleep on it and make the right ethical decision if even it's super wrong that this person led you on about purchasing them.

BTW so the markers you're selling, any chance of link to the details?
Jul. 1st, 2015 11:54 pm (UTC)
Yeah I am very let down :( it'll be okay though.

And of course, here!http://www.furaffinity.net/view/16985883/
Jul. 1st, 2015 07:22 pm (UTC)
This isn't art, where you've put effort into making it. (I know the sales and the waiting is effort, but unfortunately it's not the same.) It's an equipment transaction. I think it would be very hard to justify a partial refund, either morally or when their bank issues a chargeback. Personally, I would just cut it short, send them their refund, and not take a payment plan from the next buyer.
Jul. 1st, 2015 07:33 pm (UTC)
Yeah this isn't something I want to drag out and create bad blood or drama over. I slept on it and felt that it's best to refund and let it go.

Thank you.
( 8 comments — Leave a comment )


A_B icon
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community
Artists Beware

Community Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com