?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Possible beware?

Hello Artist_Beware.
I've watched this livejournal for quite a while, and it has been quite useful in my commissioning endeavors.
However. Today I come to ask a question: Should I post a beware about a current situation I'm in?


I commissioned an artist back in January (I will not tell the artist name unless a beware is needed) for a reference sheet of my female white tiger character, Annabelle. Things went smoothly, I paid the 40$, and I asked how long the artist thought it would take. I was given a month timeline. Which I thought was awesome.

I'm not a pushy person. I work as a commission artist, and I understand life, and mood for drawings sometime come in the way.
Around late January, I started checking the artist's FA to see if my reference sheet had been none. I saw nothing. So I decided, "Hey, it's all fine. She should have it done soon." I didn't bother them and just kept looking every week or so.

February went by, and still nothing. Finally, on March 6th, I messaged the artist asking about an update. I received a note back after a couple of days (after leaving a shout on their page) that said:
"Your note almost got pushed back! And sorry, I don't have anything done on it yet, and it's been about two months? Kinda got a little busy between then, and sidetracked! I will try to get it started this week, and add a little extra, because you are patient with me. xD"

I was super excited, so I decided to just say awesome, and let her go on her artsy way.
Once again, I looked at her FA everyday, and my notes. Never received or saw anything.
I finally decided to note her again on March 30, just to see how things were going, and if she had started.
That time, she replied within a day, with a sketch of the front and back. She noted herself she had forgotten some details (The wing, etc.) and would add them in.

I waited some more, thinking the reference would be done soon (since I hadn't been told otherwise.)

Still, I watched and waited. And saw nothing. As of April 10th, I had sent her a note (which has been unread) when she had expected the reference sheet to be done.



It's been quite a while since I first commissioned her, and I'm getting frustrated. At this point, would a beware be merited, or should I try sending one last note?

Community Tags:

Artist's beware has moved!
Do NOT repost your old bewares. They are being archived.
https://artistsbeware.info/

Comments

( 13 comments — Leave a comment )
celarania
Apr. 18th, 2012 01:17 am (UTC)
I'd say ask for a firm deadline and if she misses that you'd like a refund. You can't force someone to do art for you, but if they won't you deserve your money back.

If she doesn't finish by then or give you a refund, then post a beware.
fenrirs_child
Apr. 18th, 2012 01:56 am (UTC)
Exactly this. Definitely not unreasonable.
xenafox
Apr. 18th, 2012 02:43 am (UTC)
Agree completely with this.
ivorytigress
Apr. 18th, 2012 02:46 am (UTC)
And what should I do should another note be ignored? Come back here and post?
(I'm patient. I'd certainly wait another month or so. People get busy, I know.)
celarania
Apr. 18th, 2012 02:53 am (UTC)
If the note is ignored, I'd come back and post a lost contact post (which are essentially "Hay, looking for WolfArtist64, anyone know what's going on with them/a good way to reach them?"). Last time I checked FA doesn't have the most reliable notes system.
ivorytigress
Apr. 18th, 2012 02:58 am (UTC)
Okay :) Thanks a bunch. I'll try this.
marus_puppy
Apr. 18th, 2012 04:22 am (UTC)
Another option if the note is ignored is to send one with the title something like "FINAL OFFER/DEADLINE" and explain that you've been trying to get a hold of them and you don't know what's up, but you would like to see work or get a more reliable means of contact with them and if they don't oblige then you would like a refund and may consider posting a beware.

Always give the artist a chance to make things right and tell them your intentions. I ran into that trouble myself and I've seen a lot of people jump the gun on a situation that could've been resolved by speaking to the artist. I hope that makes some sense.
pan_h_shiroi
Apr. 18th, 2012 07:34 am (UTC)
I think what celarania writes is the best thing for you to do. :)

On another note ... the artist might be totally oblivious that you are uncomfortable with the current situation, so posting a beware at this point might seem a little rude.
epiceternity
Apr. 18th, 2012 08:52 am (UTC)
I would try one last note so it's can't be said you didn't give her a final chance.

It's seems until the last ignored note that she replied to previous notes and eventually produced a sketch. I'm not sure what the delay is but it seems while she intended to do the work, there's a lack of attention on this project. It might be what's been going on has made her unmotivated. *
I'm wondering if a bit of encouragement would work in this case rather than a threat? Perhaps saying that you liked the sketch (I assume!) and that you would love to see it finished. I would bring in a deadline as already suggested, such as 'it would be great if it could be finished by the end of May as I would like to use it as a reference, do you think you can do it by then?'
You could also bring up the possibility of a refund 'if you think it's not possible to do it by then, I would like a refund as it's been 3 months (or however long) and you haven't received the finished piece'.

If you have no joy from that then do the suggested lost contact post.

* edit- just to clarify, I'm wondering if she's stressed by the feeling she has to do the image and that's why she's avoided the last note. In this circumstance it better to encourage the person rather than add more stress by demanding. But this is purely speculation, it might not be the case at all XD


Edited at 2012-04-18 08:55 am (UTC)
thaily
Apr. 18th, 2012 08:56 am (UTC)
She is responding, if slowly, and working on it. I think you just have to ask yourself if you're willing to wait. I don't know how big of a character sheet you commissioned, just a turn around and a few expression or a full blown sheet, that would determine how long you should be willing to wait for that price. If it's relatively cheap, wait a little longer. Otherwise, ask for a refund.

I don't know if setting another deadline will help, as she doesn't seem able to keep her own.
ivorytigress
Apr. 18th, 2012 12:16 pm (UTC)
I had only commissioned a front + back reference sheet.
But I do agree with you. I will probably give her until middle of May or so to either respond or refund or whatever happens. (That's actually when I really need it anyway. Getting a fursuit done.) And if nothing happens, no response, or doesn't refund, I'll be back to post for lost contact or a beware.


edit: Actually, just so this doesn't sound like I'm being a dick...
YES I sent her another note saying, "Hey, is it possible to have this done by so and so date, otherwise, would it be possible to receive a refund?"

Let's hope this all works out. She's one of my favourite artists.

Edited at 2012-04-18 12:18 pm (UTC)
thaily
Apr. 18th, 2012 04:17 pm (UTC)
That is a shame, I hope things work out for you.
puritikoneko
Apr. 18th, 2012 03:14 pm (UTC)
This was kinda what I was thinking. Since she did give the OP a deadline herself and didn't stick with it.
( 13 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

A_B icon
artists_beware
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community
Artists Beware

Community Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com