Mogwai_toejam (akktri) wrote in artists_beware,

Can someone explain this to me?

I admit this is a little off topic, but I figure that since it's related to art thieves, copyrights and stuff, I thought I might be able to at least get someone to explain this to me. I am really confused.
A person told me a way to sneak a watermark into my drawings the old fashioned way (to protect them from theft), but I can't imagine how it works. Does anyone know what this stuff means?
"You take a blank piece of paper, ruler, and pencil. To make the letter `C', you draw a straight vertical line, then at the top and bottom of it draw horizontally to the right, a quarter-inch line. Then from the free end of each of those little stubs, draw an inch- long line parallel to the original 8" line. The result is a squared-off letter `C' that has been outrageously stretched, vertically. Just looking at it, you cant see it is a letter C. Follow it with several more distorted letters and it looks like semi-random thin vertical lines. To read the message thus written, lay the paper on the table, and crouch down so you are looking at the tabletop almost edge-on (or just do that with the paper), and the vertical stretch is un-done by your viewing angle, and you can read the text. My suggestion was that such stretched characters scattered throughout the drawing (either manually, or by photoshop-overlaying a standard file) would mark it, not too obtrusively, in a way that cant be easily removed by a thief."
  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded