Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Unfortunately, much of the communication for this commission was done verbally at a con, but I'll supply a few screenshots that pertain to the situation as well.

I commissioned a friend back in 2017. They told me that they'd have it done by May 2018, but would get it to me sooner if needed. I sent payment for the piece with extra for shipping via Paypal on Jul 2017.

Through-out the commission they offered a lot of reasons why they weren't working on it, including depression. Because they're my friend, I didn't want them to feel like I was dismissive, so I didn't push the issue. When they missed the deadline, I asked again for progress, but this was met with more excuses.

On June 2018 they sent a very rough sketch for my approval. I responded asking for some edits. After I sent this email, I didn't hear back from them. I was unable to reach them until October, when I sent over this email.

They responded with this.

I waited to post here for advice until after December, because they mentioned hoping to have the piece done by then.

I have no idea how to respond here, I'm honestly at a loss.

Community Tags:

Artist's beware has moved!
Do NOT repost your old bewares. They are being archived.


Jan. 2nd, 2019 11:18 pm (UTC)
Unfortunately you're well past PayPal's deadline so you really don't have many options and you probably know them all.

Ask for a refund. From the reply I wouldn't expect it but you might be lucky and get your money back.

Keep on them regularly (monthly). I would be shocked if you got anything of quality but you might get lucky. You're more likely to get blocked in general.

Keep on them every now and then (every six months or so). I would be shocked if you got anything of quality but you might get lucky.

Wash your hands of it. Accept the loss of the money, the friend and the art and walk away.

Depending on location of you both and the value there is small claims court and even police action if it's expensive enough.

At this point it's just a matter of choosing what is the least stressful for you and go with it. Re-evaluate what that choice is as needed.

I strongly recommend a beware if you don't receive the art or if they take more commissions before you say it's over.
Jan. 6th, 2019 07:37 pm (UTC)
Sorry for what might seem like a late reply. I've been giving this serious thought over the past few days.

Small claims isn't a great option, I think it would cost quite a bit of time to litigate, and while $70 is a lot of money to me, it wouldn't be financially sound.

They have a Patreon, so it seems likely they'll be taking more work, but I'm not certain.

I'm worried about writing a beware, as this artist has a very large fan base, and I'm worried about retaliation. However, I also don't want other people to fall into this same situation, so I'm still weighing the options work heavy consideration.


A_B icon
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community
Artists Beware

Community Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com