WHERE: Original transaction was an in-convention commission at Furpocalypse 2017. Notes have been exchanged primarily through Fur Affinity since then.
WHAT: Traditional con badge
October 27, 2017 (day one of Furpocalypse): I commissioned Tegan for a con badge. The base price was $80, but I asked Tegan to charge me $100 instead, with the extra $20 being a tip. Furpocalypse uses a system where the artist fills out the price on an invoice, which the buyer then brings to a central checkout and pays the teller. The teller then stamps the invoice to indicate it has been paid, and the buyer returns the stamped invoice to the artist. I paid the Furpocalypse teller in cash and unfortunately I no longer have my receipt after all this time, though the Furpocalypse staff might if pressed.
October 28, 2017 (day two of Furpocalyse): I went to pick up my badge, as Tegan had promised a next-day turnaround. Tegan told me there it wasn't finished yet and to please check back tomorrow.
October 29, 2017 (day three of Furpocalypse): I went again to pick up my badge, and Tegan once again said it had not yet been finished. Tegan asked if it could be done as take-home work, and I agreed.
November 11, 2017: I sent Tegan a note on Fur Affinity asking for an update. (screenshot) The same day, Tegan replied and said it would be posted "this week." (screenshot)
December 26, 2017: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. (screenshot) Tegan read it but did not respond.
February 18, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. (screenshot)
February 19, 2018: Tegan replied only with "Hey what's your next con?" (screenshot)
February 20, 2018: I informed Tegan that I will probably be doing Furpocalypse again this year. (screenshot) Tegan read the note but did not respond.
June 3, 2018: I asked Tegan if I'm to understand from that exchange that the badge will be ready before Furpocalypse? (screenshot)
June 4, 2018: Tegan replied that it would actually be scanned, posted, and mailed to me "this week" if I could provide my address (screenshot)
June 4-8, 2018: I asked Tegan if it would be all right to send my mailing address via email instead of Fur Affinity notes, because I don't particularly trust the latter. Tegan agreed, and I did so. I'm not providing screenshots of the email since it's literally just me providing my mailing address (which is not information that should be posted here anyway), but here (screenshot) is a confirmation note back on Fur Affinity, informing Tegan that the email had been sent. As of when I submitted this post to a_b, I never received anything in the mail.
July 10, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. (screenshot)
July 11, 2018: Tegan replied informing me that the scan would be posted "this week." (screenshot)
July 22, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. (screenshot)
July 11, 2018: Tegan replied informing me that the scan would be posted "today or tomorrow." (screenshot)
August 5, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. (screenshot)
August 6, 2018: Tegan replied informing me that the scan would be posted "tomorrow." (screenshot)
August 8, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. Though there had been a soft unspoken inferring up to this point that Tegan needed only to scan and post the badge, the lack of updates over this long a time lead me to ask more directly and formally: The badge actually is finished, yes? (screenshot) Tegan read it but did not respond.
August 13, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. Because of how long it has been and especially the lack of response to my direct question, I started to more overtly show doubts that this badge is indeed finished. I asked for a refund if it was not. (screenshot) Tegan replied after "finally [getting] home" that the scan would be posted by "tomorrow." (screenshot)
August 16, 2018: I sent Tegan a note asking for an update. I also asked what is causing all these delays. I repeated my stance that I would like a refund if the badge had not actually been completed, as Tegan still had not directly answered that. (screenshot) Tegan replied complaining about having a lot going on, but promised to get the scan "soon." (screenshot)
August 23, 2018: I dropped a sharply-worded ultimatum on Tegan. (screenshot) The main point, to quote a passage from the middle: "You still have yet to answer a simple and direct yes or no question that I've asked several times now: Does my badge actually exist? Have you drawn it yet, in all this time? If so, prove it. It really should not take two and a half months now just to scan something. If you haven't started it yet, then please don't. I will instead take a full refund." Because of the repeated delays promising updates soon/tomorrow/etc. I informed Tegan that I felt the only way to get the matter resolved was to attach a deadline: I expected either the badge or a refund by September 1, or I would take the matter to a_b.
August 27, 2018: Tegan replied "now that [Tegan is] home" understanding and thanking me for the warning, and promising to talk to me "soon." (screenshot)
August 31, 2018: Tegan sent me another note suggesting it may have to wait until Sunday the 2nd, rather than the 1st as originally promised. Tegan promised to include extra sketches for the trouble, and to pay for shipping with tracking. (screenshot)
September 3, 2018: The September 1 deadline came and went, and so did the September 2 deadline, so I wrote and submitted this post here.
I still have not received anything after almost a full year of "today/tomorrow/this week/soon" promises. I still do not believe this badge ever existed, which leaves me at a loss regarding how to deal with Tegan's offer on August 31. I very specifically and directly, more than once, instructed Tegan not to draw this badge if it had not already been made, because I would rather have a refund at this point. Tegan never did answer the direct yes-or-no question of whether this badge ever existed. If it did not (which I very strongly suspect) but Tegan then threw something together this weekend to meet the deadline, that would directly go against my frequently-repeated wishes.
One could argue that receiving the badge+bonus sketches+complimentary shipping with tracking would at least be something, and that was why I was persuaded to give Tegan one more day per the note on the 31st. Even now, a part of me is worried I'm going to click "Submit" on this and then received the finished product half an hour after I posted it, and end up looking silly for that. However, I look back on this entire history and... well, I'm sorry, but I simply can't believe Tegan anymore. Tegan implied I'd be getting the scan any second now, but Tegan has been implying that for months. At this point, I just want the matter resolved. By refund, preferably, but I might just have to take what I can get.