?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Artist Beware: Jailbird

WHO: Jailbird

WHERE: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/jailbird/

WHAT: a two-character digital painting with a background

WHEN: November 2013

EXPLAIN: Jailbird on furaffinity has promised to refund a commission that she does not plan to complete, but has been avoiding every attempt I have made to contact her on various sites. I paid for my commission in 2013, and was put on a refund list en masse with 100 or so other commissioners. No one on the list has been refunded.
Here is the list in question. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-8n-8_u2SMdgYx9LQBy0rL0YYFfE_F7e19nIMYrarH0/edit#gid=0
And the transaction: https://78.media.tumblr.com/91e3ca8dccc6db1ad755e786f04a8386/tumblr_pb1zyfwz0J1rauz49o1_1280.jpg

I have emailed Jailbird twice within the past two months, as a response to her apology journal claiming she would clean up her act. She has not responded to any of my emails. I noted her on FA 3 months ago asking about the refund status. She has read the note but has not responded.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/cb1d72ccc51f30bbea0956e827e084d9/tumblr_pb6o98S3st1rauz49o1_1280.jpg
https://78.media.tumblr.com/bf1d4cd4a6366d78ba50610267350d6d/tumblr_pb6o98S3st1rauz49o2_1280.jpg


I post comments on journals and leave shouts but she has not attempted to engage with me anywhere, and everyone else on that refund list is getting the same treatment.

PROOF: Paypal transaction: https://78.media.tumblr.com/91e3ca8dccc6db1ad755e786f04a8386/tumblr_pb1zyfwz0J1rauz49o1_1280.jpg
refund list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-8n-8_u2SMdgYx9LQBy0rL0YYFfE_F7e19nIMYrarH0/edit#gid=0
furaffinity note: https://78.media.tumblr.com/bf1d4cd4a6366d78ba50610267350d6d/tumblr_pb6o98S3st1rauz49o2_1280.jpg
Email: https://78.media.tumblr.com/cb1d72ccc51f30bbea0956e827e084d9/tumblr_pb6o98S3st1rauz49o1_1280.jpg

Community Tags:

Before commenting, please read our Community Rules.
Do not go after persons posted about here, by leaving comments on their art pages.
If you have been posted about, please read I've Been Posted on Artists_Beware, Now What?

Comments

( 20 comments — Leave a comment )
ara_kem
Jul. 2nd, 2018 09:17 am (UTC)
I've been following Jailbird for a while out of complete curiosity - I'm so sorry this has happened to you :(

I honestly don't understand how she keeps getting work.. Do people really not care? I've seen people who are already on her queue getting more work from her (despite them also complaining in her journals / shouts that she hasn't done their work) - I just don't get it at all!

I really hope she does get her act together and you get your money back but I must admit it doesn't seem to be very likely..
lilchibimonster
Jul. 3rd, 2018 05:59 am (UTC)
I was about to write the same thing. I don't get how she can get away with this after so long. I also don't understand how she gets more work.
spottycat
Jul. 3rd, 2018 09:12 pm (UTC)
Notoriously bad about answering notes/emails
Only way I've found to get her to communicate was to hunt her in her sketch streams and reach out as she was wrapping up for the night - not sure why this proved more successful...

Her lack of communication really leaves a terrible impression with customers and leaves them completely in the dark. I feel like leaving the customer emotionally drained by causing them to feel helpless might even be the goal at some level if shes taking more work than she can handle... and if its not, I really hope that Jailbird looks into finding an agent who can act as an intermediary for all financial matters in her business so people can get the refunds they deserve when she drops the ball (and so she gets paid when she actually deserves the payout).

Totally a downer of a situation, because she produces really lovely art when her head is in the game and it would be nice to feel safe doing business with her.

Edited at 2018-07-03 09:15 pm (UTC)
crazeetyger
Jul. 4th, 2018 02:19 am (UTC)
May be a bit off topic but...
Someone called Neer out to talk to Jailbird and he told them to submit a TT. Someone else went to Neer's page and called him out for the staff not answering TT and not taking care of things.
lackoflollies
Jul. 5th, 2018 11:58 am (UTC)
I really don't understand how she is allowed to do business on FA. Way back in the day they banned people for owing LESS.
red13nanaki
Jul. 7th, 2018 10:38 pm (UTC)
She's actually even opened for a bunch more commissions since this has been posted. Her one journal blew up about her not finishing them, but she's just ignored all of it. And a few days after that one she's opened for a whole bunch more, but people keep throwing money at her still unfortunately. x.x It's really a shame that nothing is being done about all of this. Though if she would happen to get banned it still probably wouldn't do anything as usual, just make it harder for people to contact her about their refunds/owed art.
limizuki
Jul. 8th, 2018 01:05 am (UTC)
Their queue is up to 187 people and she just posted two hours ago asking for more commissions because her rent was overdue. Piss-poor priorities
kayla_na
Jul. 11th, 2018 04:19 pm (UTC)
How does an artist get up to 187 commissions???? That's mind boggling!
limizuki
Jul. 11th, 2018 08:24 pm (UTC)
I re-read that list again. The 187 is refunds they have to give
ara_kem
Jul. 9th, 2018 09:39 am (UTC)
She's just put up a journal asking those she owes to get in contact so she can make a list to work off of - which while I want to be happy that she's making an effort I just... how does she not have a list herself? Did she not organise these when she took them?

She's also said in the journal that she'll be completing pieces in the order people comment...

What about the poor people who have been waiting years? What about the list she already has? What happens to them? Also what about people who miss this journal? Do they just not get completed now?

Edit: Apologies didn't finish this before logging in and I didn't realise it posted automatically if you log in!

Edited at 2018-07-09 09:41 am (UTC)
buchpooch
Jul. 9th, 2018 09:43 am (UTC)
she has done this before, pretty sure it's just a way to weed out anyone who doesn't see the journal or who has already given up on receiving their art/refund.
red13nanaki
Jul. 11th, 2018 03:56 pm (UTC)
Personally I think she's just doing it to make it look like she's trying to put forth the effort of making things right, but then she pretty much went and opened for more commissions not long after. And then people keep giving her more money and just impacting the problem. x.x People just need to attempt to keep putting in TT on the situation, but even that doesn't look that good anymore.
limizuki
Jul. 11th, 2018 08:25 pm (UTC)
What i don't understand is on the 7th she already had a list to refunds linked in her profile, and that list had 187 names on it already
mali_kyte
Jul. 13th, 2018 07:08 am (UTC)
Does Jailbird have some dirt on Neer or something?
https://www.furaffinity.net/journal/8803728/

I have seen so many artists scam people not anywhere near as
bad as Jailbird and they suffered the consequences for using FA
to scam others.

It is always disturbing to see how many people are deers in headlights
just because the artist is popular.
lackoflollies
Jul. 13th, 2018 11:27 am (UTC)
She made $750 from that at absolute minimum. She has absolutely no excuse at this point.

Edited at 2018-07-13 11:31 am (UTC)
ara_kem
Jul. 24th, 2018 08:01 am (UTC)
I just wanted to add that she seems to now be deleting journals with commissions owed on them? (Unless she's deleted it because she cancelled them? They were commissioned on the same day as her new journal so there's no way she could have finished them)

People pointed it out on her most recent one here: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/8816685/

I didn't see the previous journal personally due to time zones
red13nanaki
Jul. 26th, 2018 05:20 am (UTC)
I had seen it before she got rid of it. Was a bunch of the usual, people jumping to throw money at her and others calling her out on what she's doing. Was surprised to see it myself when she posted a second one and the first one was gone.
shinmaxwell
Jul. 27th, 2018 12:19 pm (UTC)
Lord knows I love her art style..but this is getting silly. I've seen her post at least two more journals taking commissions, all the while ignoring previous people as far as I can tell. People have gotten banned from FA for less..I'm amazed she hasn't..I feel so bad for you and everyone else!

latest journal here (for now) as proof - http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/8820097/

and again as of 15 min ago - http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/8821190/

Edited at 2018-07-27 11:00 pm (UTC)
fekfekfekfek
Jul. 27th, 2018 11:16 pm (UTC)
Gamble
The unfortunate issue with Jailbird is that the art she DOES actually finish is good enough to keep drawing in new business.

The problem is that it's just a gamble.

When you commission Jailbird, there's about a 10% chance your commission will actually get done, and it will be pretty good. But there is a 90% chance that your commission will be put on her backlog, which means you will never see it. You are throwing your money away. But people keep gambling because they keep seeing cool new art from Jailbird (the 10% of commissions she actually finishes) and assume she's actually a reliable artist to commission.

I honestly do hope that Jailbird gets herself together, some day, and finishes her backlog. She's talented, but she needs to get her shit together. She needs to fix her income:backlog ratio, which means she either needs to raise her prices tremendously (but good luck, with her reputation), or she needs to find steady employment outside of the fandom to fund her day-to-day life until she clears her backlog.
audeze
Oct. 25th, 2018 08:05 pm (UTC)
Good luck on getting this resolved. Seen too many scorned by this artist.
( 20 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

A_B icon
artists_beware
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community

Community Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com