?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

ADVICE NEEDED

Heya there! First time poster, actually made this account just to post here!

Anyways, need a bit of advice. On November 10th, 2016, I ordered a commission from an artist with a friend of mine and myself's characters. After a bit, I received an invoice for half of the order's total cost and paid it in a timely fashion, earning me a spot on the artist's queue. No problems whatsoever in the early stages. On January 16th, I sent another email to the artist, asking if I could cancel my commission, due to the fact that the person that was in the piece with me, and myself, were no longer on good terms. The artist replied, and it was cancelled.

The following day, January 17th, I sent the artist another email, kindly asking if he'd be willing to possibly continue the commission, with only my character in it. I had paid for the amount in full, as it was a gift to my friend from before, so I didn't see much problem with it. I didn't receive any reply, and also by this point still had not received any refund from the artist. On January 26th, I sent another e-mail, asking again if he'd be willing to continue the commission, but instead place one of my other characters in the slot. Again no reply, no refund, nothing.

Fastforward to today, and I decided to send him a note on FurAffinity, as I wasn't sure if maybe there was an issue with e-mails, and FurAffinity lets you know when the recipient has read your message. So I typed out a note, kindly asking again if he'd be willing to continue the commission, and if not that it was totally fine, reminding him that I hadn't received any refund either. He read the note within fifteen minutes of me sending it, fastforward eight hours from then and I have no response, and no refund.

His TOS does say he will give refunds depending on the amount of work already done, and since I hadn't even received a base sketch, I assumed a full refund of the original half paid would be in order. Now he's convinced me he's blatantly ignoring me. Considering this is a decent sum of money, I'd like to do something, but I'm not sure what. Please help!

Community Tags:

Before commenting, please read our Community Rules.
Do not go after persons posted about here, by leaving comments on their art pages.
If you have been posted about, please read I've Been Posted on Artists_Beware, Now What?

Comments

( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
gatekat
Feb. 7th, 2017 03:01 am (UTC)
Since you are in the 6 month window, open a PayPal dispute, if you paid that way.

Then post a full beware.
bornesb
Feb. 7th, 2017 03:05 am (UTC)
Give the artist at least 24 hours to reply.

After that time, send another note with an ultimatum, referencing all prior contact with the artist. Something like this:

"Artist,

I originally contacted you on [date] for [type of commission]. I paid on [date] and never received a WIP. on [date 2] I asked to cancel, you said you would, but I never received a refund. I then asked on [date 3] if the commission could be changed. Since I have not received any reply since [date] and I have tried to contact you again on [these other dates], I was hoping to instead just get the refund from you.

If you could respond by [date 7 days from now] with some sort of plan or a refund to [my paypal address], I would really appreciate it. If I don't get a response by [date 7 days from now] then I will be forced to take this issue with paypal.

Thank you,
[your name]"

Then file the paypal claim if they don't respond within the time frame.

EDITED TO ADD:
The reason for wording the final note like this is because it usually allows you to send just this last note as proof for paypal. It also shows the artist you have your shit together and they probably shouldn't mess with you anymore.

Edited at 2017-02-07 03:08 am (UTC)
celestinaketzia
Feb. 7th, 2017 03:05 am (UTC)
As Gatekat mentioned, you may have to go for a dispute at this rate. Personally, I'd ask for a refund after all and run. If they can't even respond to you, then how much trouble are you going to have getting this transaction to end?

If you want to give this a chance for this to end on good terms, I suggest contacting them with a firm deadline for them to respond to you.

If you do go the route of a dispute, bear in mind that it will close automatically in the artist's favor unless you manually escalate it to a claim.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

A_B icon
artists_beware
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community

Community Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com